Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Opened in 1932 as the Trans-Lux, this branch of the popular newsreel circuit seated a little over 340. It was designed by Thomas W. Lamb -- his only work in the city of Detroit. The Trans-Lux had a feature which was advertised as "daylight projection" (actually rear projection), so that theater-goers were able to move around the smallish auditorium without it being overly darkened.
In 1934, the "daylight projection" system was taken out in favor of a standard projection booth. Seating was also increased to 700 and it was renamed the Center. Growing interest in television spelled the end of the Center, and it was shuttered in 1949. The former theater was later converted for retail use, and today houses a thrift shop.