Source: Cinema Treasures
Designed by Christian W. Brandt, the nearly 1900-seat Cinderella on the East Side of Detroit was one of the larger of the city's neighborhood houses. Built in Spanish Colonial style, the Cinderella made for an impressive sight in its early years along East Jefferson Avenue with its white terra-cotta facade and red Spanish-tile roofing.
The theater contained a Mighty Wurlitzer organ which was removed from the Cinderella in 1966. It is now housed in the Music House Museum, near Traverse City. Once host to both vaudeville and movies, the Cinderella was built for J.N. Robinson and opened in 1924. In 1953 it was sold to United Detroit Theatres, which modernized the Cinderella, replacing the seating and installing new projection equipment.
After the 1950 Walt Disney film "Cinderella" came out, the side walls of the theater were painted with scenes from that movie. The Cinderella was closed in the mid 70s, and was demolished just a few years later.