Source: Ted Martin
The Irving Theater, located in Detroit's Brightmoor neighborhood, once seated 1025, and opened in 1927. It stood at 21220 Fenkell Street at the corner of Blackstone Street. The Irving was designed by the firm of Kohner & Payne, whose other Detroit movie houses included the Uptown and the John Eberson-inspired Ramona, both long gone. After a long life as a first-run theater, the Irving turned to adult fare in the 70s, and continued to screen adult features in 1997 before it closed. The former theater most recently used as a church, but had been vacant since 2005. In May 2007, the building was destroyed in a fire.